Are you wanting to plan a surprise family fun day but you’re looking for fun things to do with kids? It’s fun to get out and try something new with kids but sometimes we’re at a standstill with ideas of things to do. We’re sharing our favorite fun things to do with kids!
Agh! The days are flying by! Where’s the sense of adventure, the long lazy days, the hours spent soaking up the sun? Where’s summer? It’s time to plan a surprise family fun day before summer is over and here’s a list of fun things to do with kids.
Yesterday went something like this: the boys woke me up at 6:00. I got dressed. Tossed a load of laundry in. Scrambled eggs for the boys. Made myself a cup of coffee. Drank half of it. Got the boys dressed and brushed their teeth. Out the door to drop my son at kindergarten camp and then off to the gym to work out. Showered. Put chicken in the crockpot. Picked up my son from kinder camp. Made them lunch. Worked for about an hour. Took the boys outside. Did a little bit of yard work. Finished prepping dinner. Got the boys fed. Washed dishes. Baths. Pajamas. Read a story and cuddle time. Put the boys to bed. Squeezed in more work. Collapsed into bed.
Summer is flying by and before much longer we will be in back to school season! What better way to do that than with a Surprise Family Fun Day?
How to Plan a Surprise Family Fun Day
Plan a day of fun and surprise the kids with the plan in a creative, fun way first thing in the morning. It doesn’t have to be a major trip or vacation but the surprise element will make it feel larger than life for them.
There are no rules except to have FUN as a family!
FUN things to do with kids
Anything you and your kids love to do can make for a great surprise family day. But the best things are experiences you haven’t yet had the chance to try, or something they’ve been waiting to do.
There are so many possibilities! Here are a few awesome ideas for the perfect Surprise Family Fun Day to get you started.
- Wake the Kids Up. Think up something special to announce the surprise. Make a cute note to announce the surprise family fun day or include a map of where you are going!
- Take the Kids to the Fire Station. Most local stations will arrange tours for kids. This is an exciting field trip for preschoolers and school-age children alike. They’ll love checking out the different fire trucks and meeting real life firefighters.
- Go Fishing. Find a local spot to take the family fishing. Wake the kids up with a small tackle box filled with snack for the day – really get them in the fishing spirit with a bag of goldfish, gummy worms, or pretzel rods. It’s a great outdoors adventure and bring a picnic lunch to make it a little more special.
- Jump Your Heart Out at a Local Trampoline Park. Visiting a trampoline park is a great way to burn energy and it’s totally fun. Socks are required, so wake your kids with a new pair of socks (although some places require that you purchase, and wear, their own special socks).
- Beach Day! Greet your little one excited with a new sand pail and fill it with a few beach toys for a lazy day at the beach. Bring everything you need for an unstructured long day. Don’t forget the umbrella and sunscreen.
- Visit a Local State Park! One of our favorite fun things to do with kids is to explore a new park. Find a park near you and check out what events they are offering.
- Hit the Water Park. Going to the water park is a great way to spend a HOT summer day! There are usually areas at the water park that are appropriate for toddlers to teenagers.
- How About an Evening Family Fun Activity? Build a bonfire in the backyard, roast s’mores and catch lightning bugs. Bring as many crazy s’mores toppings as you can think of! I just saw the best idea putting the s’mores in waffle cones with chocolate! Yum!
- City Day! Do you live within an hour or two of a city? Plan out a trip to a museum, the zoo, or a great restaurant. End the day with ice cream cones! Share the plan with the kids in the morning by giving them a map of the city and showing them each of the stops you will be making.
- Ride the Trains. Younger kids especially love trains. Board one in your town, ride just a few stops and disembark at a station from which you can walk to a park and an ice cream shop. Conductor hat and train tickets can kick off the day.
- Outdoor Movie Nights are Gaining Popularity! Find one showing a family-friendly movie, pop a huge bucket of popcorn, load up blankets and pillows and enjoy a classic film under the stars.
- Story Time. Barnes & Noble, and most independent bookshops, as well as libraries, host story hours for kids. Find schedules and other information at bn.com, or by calling your local library or bookstore.
- Visit an Amusement Park! We go to our local amusement park and even though our boys are little, they have the best time! It’s always a day of excitement and thrills.
- Free Bowling. Hundreds of alleys across the country participate in the summerlong Kids Bowl Free program, which allows children to play two games a day on the house. To register for a pass, roll on over to kidsbowlfree.com.
Of course, there are likely to be other things to do near you – caves to explore, waterfalls to visit, roller coasters to ride, petting zoos to visit, and so much more.
Three Rules for the Family Fun Day
First, you might be tempted to tell the kids in advance. But keep it a surprise until the day of the adventure!
Second, this is a day to leave your digital devices behind. Just bring a camera. But spend the day enjoying the moment, soaking in your kids’ expressions and making those memories with those fun things to do with kids!
Third, I want to hear all about your family fun! Leave me a comment with how you plan to enjoy your surprise family fun day!
Now, let the FAMILY FUN begin! Follow me on Instagram to see what family fun we are up to!