There are affiliate links present in the posts on Love Peace Beauty! These links only mean that I receive a small commission in exchange for sharing an awesome product or service with you and that allows me to continue to run this site, free of charge so that we can keep hanging out!
At the end of last year, we moved into our NEW family home. Moving is a big process and then you move in and there’s the question, “Where do you start after you move in your new home?”
There were many factors to consider when deciding to move that I posted about when we started this home buying journey. We considered the schools in areas since in just a few short years, our oldest will start kindergarten. We also had to seriously weigh things like cost vs convenience. We lived in the city where my husband was working but we ultimately decided to move about 30 miles south to get more house for our mortgage. But in exchange, my husband now has a longer commute which makes his 10 hour work days about 12 hours with the commute.
Our home is in a new-build community and for the most part, we stuck with the builder grade features except for updating our kitchen (the home reveal). We were very cost conscious when purchasing the home but we also knew we were investing in our forever home. We knew things like bathrooms and the kitchen backsplash could be updated home projects for the future so we didn’t upgrade with the builder.
We are currently using a lot of the decor and furniture from our previous home but since this is a bigger space many things will be different. Now, that we’ve been here a few months and I’ve had a chance to browse ideas and get a feel for our space, I’m getting a better idea of what I want each room to look like.
We want to be intentional about slowly working on our home to make sure we buy what we truly want. And let’s be honest, the bank account will thank us for taking our time.
Our plan is to tackle at least a little project on the days my husband is home so that we can keep making slow and steady progress. I’m kinda obsessed with organization, so I started with some of the basics just to at least “feel” organized!
So the overwhelming question is Where do you start after you move in your new home? Here are some of the things we have done and our goals for the future!
Interior Home Decor
What we have done
- We purchased 6 ceiling fans! This fan is my favorite that we put in the morning room and family room! There are 4 different fans in the bedrooms.
- We purchased 2″ faux wood blinds for most of the rooms. They look really good and yet they were affordable! (Especially after we had a custom blinds lady come and quote us nearly $5,000!!!) Hands down, these 2″ faux wood blinds for the win!
- We put three cellular shades in the family room. We enjoy looking out into the backyard but the sun glare was an issue so we can just pull them down as needed. We are really happy with these shades!
- We assembled a heavy-duty storage shelf in our basement that holds a lot of our holiday decorations and such.
What we have done
- Lined all the drawers and cabinets with liners.
- Purchased shelf dividers which have made such a difference with organizing the cabinets!
- Purchased kitchen drawer organizers for the silverware and other utensils.
- Purchased a knife mat that inserts in the drawer. It keeps countertops clutter free and it seems safer with children.
- We ordered the backsplash tile!
- Install kitchen backsplash tile. My dad will do the installation…more to come on that project. Super excited about it!!
- Find a few decor pieces. I’d love a center piece on my kitchen island instead of the clutter we are collecting now.
What we have done
- Purchased the frames and towels. I’m so happy with how it turned out!
- Tile bathroom floor. We just have a vinyl floor that is perfectly fine for now but it looks a little rustic compared to the accent tile we selected.
We have a few estimates for building a deck. My husband has a friend who professionally designs and builds decks. He takes a bit longer on projects since he works independently but he’s about half the estimates we received from a comparable business. The plan is for him to begin in the spring. We look forward to grilling and relaxing on the deck when the weather is warmer!
We still have unfurnished areas including the formal living room, formal dining room and one unfurnished bedroom. The positive side is that for now, the boys have lots of room to play! :)